Interconnected: Web Design and Internet Marketing
Whatever your reason for having an online presence, to be successful, you have to participate in Internet Marketing.
There are thousands of very talented web designers spread around the globe. Some of them are amazingly skilled in all the latest web technologies.
There are, however, relatively few who grasp the intricacies and interdependence of all the components that go into creating sites that not only look nice, but actually accomplish the objectives that prompted their creation in the first place.
You wouldn’t believe how many new clients have contacted after us after spending a small fortune having their site developed, only to find that they either aren’t getting any visitors, or nobody sticks around long enough to find out what the site is all about.
A good looking site just isn’t enough.
It doesn’t matter whether you are online to promote your business, a product or service; or just to blog about your favourite hobby or pastime.
- If you want anyone to listen to what you have to say, they first have to find you. You accomplish this by marketing your site.
- If you want anyone to believe that you know what you’re talking about, they have to believe you. You accomplish this by writing your copy clearly and concisely (copywriting).
- If you want anyone to agree with your message you have to convince them that your opinion or product is better than alternatives (copywriting again).
- If you want anyone to do anything because of your message (follow you, buy your product, join your club…whatever) you have to tell them what to do next (a call to action).
Each of these steps is fundamental to any successful website (or any other communication, for that matter). They are also the tried and tested processes of successful marketers.
The emerging opportunities for the small to medium business to compete in an open market where size doesn’t matter are truly amazing nowadays. Having been active online for over 15 years, we’ve learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t. We are here to help you.
You cannot be successful online without an understanding of the following important components:
- Good, attractive design to make the site appealing to the visitor
- Easy, intuitive navigation so visitors can find what they are looking for
- Clear concise writing with copy that flows and is easy to follow
- Keyword positioning to optimize search engine positioning, while maintaining readability
- Obtaining valid inbound links to assist with SEO ranking
- Compelling copy to make sure visitors spend more than a couple of seconds on your site
- Provide clear and easy to follow instructions for the visitor to follow once you’ve convinced them
- Convince visitors to give you their details to give you the opportunity to make them know, like and trust you
- If you’re selling something, find a way to hook customers so well that they return and buy more from you
- Have a system in place to test different ideas, layouts, colours, images, styles, etc.
- Come up with creative ways to provide added value to visitors
- Build a community of like minded people to provide a captive audience for new products or ideas
Being Wishlist Member Certified (Membership sites), and having been through Alex Mandossian’s Teleseminar Secrets and Podcast Secrets courses (with Paul Colligan), and worked through material from the online marketing experts – like John Carlton, Yanik Silver, Dan Kennedy, Andy Jenkins, Jack Canfield, and many others; I have an understanding of what it takes to sell (or attract clients and customers online). Indeed, many of the insights from these sources went into the development of my own successful Happiness Minute innovation that included audio postcards, a book, CD, iTunes album, and video.